Survey: A Substantial Majority (65%) Demonstrates Readiness to Utilize Cannabis Under the Supervision and Guidance of a Qualified Clinician

Survey: A Substantial Majority (65%) Demonstrates Readiness to Utilize Cannabis Under the Supervision and Guidance of a Qualified Clinician

A recent survey conducted by EO Care, a cannabis wellness company, has revealed some interesting insights into the use of cannabis for health reasons in the United States. The survey, which gathered responses from 1,027 Americans in states where cannabis is legal for medical and/or recreational use, found that 18 percent of respondents had used cannabis for health reasons in the past year, while 19 percent had used it for recreational purposes, and 14 percent had used it for both.

The top three reasons cited for cannabis use were anxiety, pain, and sleep. In fact, 88 percent of medical cannabis users reported that it had reduced their use of prescription drugs, alcohol, or both. This suggests that cannabis is being used as an alternative or complementary treatment for various health conditions.

One particularly noteworthy finding from the survey was that 65 percent of respondents said they would feel more comfortable using cannabis if it were screened and dosed by a clinician. This highlights the need for readily available medical advice on marijuana treatment.

Sean Collins, co-founder and CEO of EO Care, emphasized the importance of clinical guidance for medicinal cannabis. He stated that most doctors lack the knowledge needed to provide such guidance, and retail dispensaries are not equipped to offer medical advice. This leaves millions of Americans using cannabis for health reasons without specific product recommendations, dosage information, and awareness of potential drug interactions or health risks. Considering that sales of cannabis for health reasons are higher than many prescription drugs, this situation is concerning for healthcare in general.

The survey also shed light on the impact of cannabis use on employment and job preferences. Fifty-one percent of respondents said they would be likely or very likely to use cannabis if it were offered by their health plan. Additionally, 56 percent said they would be more likely to take a job at a company whose health plan included cannabis care. On the other hand, 44 percent said they would reconsider applying for a job at a company that tested for prior cannabis use or prohibited cannabis outside of the workplace.

EO Care positions itself as a clinically guided cannabis health and wellness solution for employers. The company’s digital health service provides HR and benefits leaders with tools to help employees determine if cannabis should be part of their healthcare journey. This includes clinical education and personalized care guidance, addressing issues such as cannabis overuse, which has become increasingly common due to the lack of medical guidance.

The survey results align with broader trends in public opinion regarding cannabis legalization. Thirty-eight states have legalized some form of medical cannabis treatment, and polls consistently show that a majority of Americans support legalizing marijuana for medical or recreational use. In fact, a poll conducted by the Pew Research Center last year found that 88 percent of U.S. adults believe marijuana should be legal for either medical and recreational use or medical use only.

In conclusion, the survey conducted by EO Care highlights the growing popularity of cannabis use for health reasons in the United States. It underscores the need for accessible clinical guidance on marijuana treatment and reveals the impact of cannabis-related policies on employment decisions. As attitudes toward cannabis continue to evolve and more states legalize its use, it is crucial for healthcare providers and policymakers to address the need for informed medical advice and regulation in this rapidly expanding field.

Dr. Paul Miller, MD

Dr. Miller is committed to finding new and innovative ways to help his patients manage their symptoms and improve their overall quality of life. He has a particular interest in the therapeutic potential of medical cannabis and is passionate about educating both his colleagues and patients on its safe and effective use. He is also committed to continuing his education and staying up-to-date on the latest advances in neurology and cannabis research.

Leave a Comment